Photo courtesy of Getty Images
You've probably heard that myth that you can pop your eyes out if you hold them open when you sneeze. Don't try it. But sneezing CAN send you to the hospital, along with these other things that seem totally harmless.
1. Skinny jeans. If they're tight enough, they can pinch the nerves at the tops of your thighs, and lead to a condition called meralgia paresthetica. Sometimes it requires surgery to fix the problem.
2. A fat wallet. If you keep your wallet in your back pocket, you're twisting your spine every time you sit down. It could lead to sciatica and even herniated discs.
3. Flip-flops. If you're always gripping them with your toes to keep them from falling off, it could lead to tendonitis.
4. Drinking too much water. This is kind of hard to do. But too much water can dilute the essential nutrients in your blood. And in an extreme case you could actually die.
5. Intense workouts. Aside from dehydration and heat sickness, you can get something called rhabdomyolysis (RAB-doh-my-oh-LY-sis). That's when your muscles start to break down and leak protein into your bloodstream.
6. Sneezing. The pressures in your neck and head go way up when you sneeze. Enough that you could even wrench your spinal column and be partially paralyzed. And if you sneeze with your mouth and nose closed, you could blow out your larynx.